Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Distracted... Who Me?

sigh... Yes, I've been very distracted recently. I've been doing anything but blogging. I haven't even been taking photos lately! And we've been going very slowly with school.
One of the things I love about homeschooling is the fact that I'm not bound to the school schedule. I can keep going as needed, and take holidays as needed. My cousin's children, however, are, and my children tend to spend a week with them every school holidays, so we do have breaks related to the school schedule. As a matter of fact, the children have just come back from a week with their Nanna, and have a week at home before going to their Grandma's for another week to spend time with their cousins. After that, we will launch back into things, but with a new focus in science and the arts.
The plan for the coming period will be:
Science - Birds - We do a mini-project each Wednesday from our Wildlife Folders (huge set of cards in folders, passed on from a neighbour) as well as reading an appropriate chapter from Window to Bushland.
Composer - Handel - I have a number of cd's of his works, including a full copy of the Messiah, so we will have a good amount to listen to.
Artist - Rembrandt - I have a large (I guess coffee table-sized?) book of selected works. Each work covers 1-2 pages with each image a good 20 x 30cm in size, and accompanied by details of the work without any discussion, which fits with the general premise of CM-style picture study - show them the work, and let them draw conclusions. Sometimes, though, there is a back-story to the painting, eg The Conspiracy of Claudius Civilius, which I, at least, like to find out, and perhaps share with the children while we are looking at it.
But for now we carry on. Studying seals this week (fitting it in to the last week of mammals.)

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

Sounds good!

It is nice to see you back - I've missed you!

Homeschoolmum4Christ said...

Sometimes we have our times when things seem to go ever so slowly, but then we also have times when the world seems to go by in an awful rush, such as the time that we are having at the moment. Enjoy the time.
Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Homeschoolmum4Christ said...

Sorry...meant to add there is a time for everything under the heavens.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Ruby said...

I figure if you're not busy there would be nothing to blog about anyway!
Hi, I've read here a couple of times before and it is nice to see you post again, so I thought I would leave a comment.
Ruby

Louise said...

I love your plans Emma, they sound lovely and are inspiring me as I am thinking of what we shall do next term

Emma said...

Thanks very much for your kind comments - it's nice to be noticed.